Monday, January 14, 2013

SD Soup Shoppe - Quick Visit

Last week I had a few days where I was feeling under the weather and thought it was finally time to swing by the SD Soup Shoppe, remembering reading about them on the great SD Urban blog.



They're nestled in a cozy space across the street from the Burger King (near the water tower) off El Cajon Blvd. Bar/restaurant The Barn next door was still under construction.



The interior of SDSS I'd describe as 'cute rustic.' There are a few tables inside but most of the dining is done out on the patio. It's a small three-person operation (at least my visit) with one doing double-duty as both cashier and server, and two in the kitchen. Business was good and my meal took a little to come out but was well worth the small wait.



The soup I got was the Lobster Bisque with Sherry ($7) which is a dollar more than the rest. Really enjoyed the flavors and the lightly sweet sherry note was a nice touch.



The Chicken Pesto with Bacon and Red Onion sandwich ($8) was also very good. Prices are a little on the high side but I was totally filled and satisfied leaving.



If I did have one request it'd be that I wished the soup was served in an actual bowl (with silverware) when dining in. I can imagine that creates extra logistics issues with the small team but it would've made the experience even better. I also didn't notice chili on the menu but it'd be a nice addition. :)

Also new in my 'hood is the Big Front Door (post coming soon) that I'm really excited about. Time to finally fix that flat on my bicycle!

SD Soup Shoppe, 2850 El Cajon Blvd, San Diego, CA 92104

1 comment:

caninecologne said...

Nice post! I'd like to stop by there one of those days to enjoy a bowl (or two)!