Sunday, July 21, 2013

A Bun Bo Hue Chay @ SD Lantern Festival 2013

A quick post for tonight, I was driving down El Cajon Blvd looking forward to an early Banh Mi Xiu Mai lunch fix today and came across the SD Little Saigon Lantern Festival over by Hoover H.S. (across the street from the original Paris Bakery). Had a quick meal there and took some photos. A friendly disclaimer though that many more people started to trickle in after the heavy overcast hour. Still, I feel they maybe should have had all the lanterns lit up during?













The food stall that piqued my interest the most was the one set up by the local Vietnamese Buddhist Temple. The vegetarian Bun Bo Hue Chay was only $5 and similar veggie Cha Gio - 2 for $1. The vegetarian Bun Bo Hue I thought was pretty good (!) with surprising copious amount of flavorful herbs abound. One in particular I immediately recognized from my Que Huong visit with the Kirk as Vietnamese coriander, but it also had a good amount of 'meaty' fried tofu and shiitake mushrooms along with. This was a great meal and healthy for me to boot!

3 comments:

KirkK said...

Nice Dennis! I was thinking of going, but I've been fighting a cold so decided not to.

Dennis K. said...

Thanks Kirk! The choice was between Panda Express and L&L Hawaiian, so not too difficult. I think the other Vietnamese booth was Ba Le, which I'm sure would've fared well too.

Ida said...

Awesome!