Sunday, May 18, 2014

Yoshoku Bliss: Yokohama Yoshoku Kimura, And Quick Mug Update

With the mug update first...

My denial of actually being a "coffee mug collector" is challenged again with these three new additions.



To the back left is the updated Japan MOS Burger (official website) Mug complete with matching saucer and spoon. (My older classic MOS mug unfortunately is still M.I.A.) Back right is a mug recently purchased at the unique Palo Alto Apple Campus Store. Pretty stoked about it but the coup de grace of 2013/14 would be up front which is an official remake of one that appeared in Studio Ghibli's animated film Majyo no Takkyuubin (Kiki's Delivery Service). Visiting the Ghibli Museum eluded me yet again the trip due to scheduling (#%!) and so this was instead purchased at one of the Village Vanguard outlets.



Food sharing today a very nice Yoshoku meal had at Yoshoku Kimura in Yokohama. I was bummed to find out that the original (honten) which had been in business since 1934 had finally closed up shop some years ago and so this Noge location is currently the oldest. There is also one now conveniently located at Shin-Yokohama Cubic Plaza.





Yoshoku Kimura had inspired me to do my Versatile Japanese Hamburg Pate post and I'm glad I finally had the chance to visit. The establishment is one of very many old school Yoshoku spots that's been on my ever growing list to checkout. The delicate hamburg can be described more as Fluffy with an emphasis on intricate aromatics. But the definite true highlight here is the these-days-hard-to-find-made-from-total-scratch Demi Glace Sauce which had a hard to describe honest deep depth of flavor with subtle liqueur after-note. Bubbling with in the heated iron platter, the rare egg is then folded at the consumer's pace which helps round things out.





Be prepared, prices are much higher than typical Japanese Yoshoku restaurants, but I would love to be back. I did purchase the restaurant's iconic Scallop Seashell cast iron plate shown so I hope to do a tribute post of some sort from me kitchen in the near future.


[Yokohama Specie Bank]

6 comments:

K and S said...

yummy!

caninecologne said...

Cute cat mug! :)

Lynn said...

Dude. Love the cat mug. (I WANT). At first glance, I only saw the real cat on that pic below it but with a second look I saw the animated cat mug! Awesome.

Great pictures. Take more, especially of food!

Dennis K. said...

Hi Kat, was very good!

Thanks CC!

Hi Lynn! It's currently one of my favs. And thanks for the compliments! :)

Mary said...

Oh man, I totally want the Kiki cat mug! Someday I want to visit the the Ghibli Museum, too!

Dennis K. said...

Hi Mary, me too! The Ghibli Museum is a bit out of the way in Mitaka, but to add to that it's by reservation only and the actual tickets purchased at Lawson convenience stores. The queue is at least a couple weeks so I should've reserved them before leaving for my trip. :( More info here.