Sunday, July 13, 2014

An Okinawa Soba - Misato Soba

Sharing another Okinawa Soba tonight, Byaaaaay(!)...



Misato Soba had been a recommendation from a close friend for a long while and it was really great that we were able to find the afternoon to hang out the mostly family-centric time I had spent in Okinawa. As Takaesu, Misato Soba also resides on the first floor of a medium sized residential apartment complex. Was a little hard to find with some construction around at the time, but google maps location here.




The relatively smaller interior also seemed recently renovated and squeaky new but still retained a very homely charm. Chilled water or hot tea abound, condiments were also your usual suspects.





The budget friendly house named Misato Soba which we both ordered includes a variety of toppings from the ubiquitous three-layer pork Sanmainiku, melty tender long-stewed cartilage nankotsu, Yushi Tofu, a slice of island Kamaboko fish cake and sprinkle of minced negi green onions. This rather full-featured medium sized bowl was for a mere ~$5.




The soup made mainly with pork bones and katsuo (dried bonito) stock I felt was deep and richer than typical. The Okinawa Soba signature all-wheat noodles were straighter and less crinkly and was also very fresh tasting. Here, fuchiba (fuuchiba, mugwort, a.k.a. Yomogi on the mainland) comes with the order which adds a strong herbal and slightly medicinal note to the dish. I tended to be conservative in use of this old school herb but the resulting flavors did strike a nostalgic note which I enjoyed.




Currently I would consider the quiet Misato Soba in my top five of favorite Okinawa Soba shops on the island, and it's well deserved judging by quality and price. I have my friend to thank but the time that we were able to spend catching up while having the great bowl was also precious. Good times. :)


5 comments:

caninecologne said...

I like how that tissue box is covered with cloth - is that a tenugui?

K and S said...

so yummy!

Dennis K. said...

Hi CC! Looks like so. I often use mine on a table as a type of doily of sorts. Lots of uses. A furoshiki is a larger square version. I wrote about them some time ago.
http://radiusedcorner.blogspot.com/2008/11/tenugui-roots-of-hokkamuri-and.html
http://radiusedcorner.blogspot.com/2008/10/furoshiki-original-japanese-eco-bag.html

Was very good Kat!

CAB said...

I see mugwart all the time at the Asian grocery stores but never thought of picking some up for noodles. I'll have to try it next time I go shopping.

Dennis K. said...

Hi CAB, hope you're doing well!! I'm more familiar with mugwort with Japanese Yomogi Mochi. In Okinawa I think Fuchiba is less popular with the younger generation and you'd find it more in very traditional older recipes.