Sunday, August 10, 2014

I ♥ Detroit - Hunter House Hamburgers

Although the term 'slider' is used synonymously for anything and everything that resembles a miniature hamburger these days, any food curious should be obliged to know that the roots are from a specific type of smaller burger categorized by a unique method of cooking. Where a conservative amount of ground beef is smashed flat on the griddle and copious measure of onions also given an initial char, then everything (preferably with cheese) including the sweet squishy buns stacked to steam so to achieve an oniony huddle of tender oneness. These humble bargain snackages often purchased by the sackful are your true sliders, made most known by the large chains White Castle and Krystal.



My mini tour of the Detroit area offerings inspired by both a Serious Eats and Offbeat Eats articles led me to Greene'sBates'Telway and finally here to the Hunter House. The HH was a perfect example of the classic white pill-box designed burger joint diners of yesteryears in and out. Next to Greene's it was my most favorite. The time I had arrived for an earlier dinner, the place was busy with families, young school kids and various blue-collar worker types on their off time.




After a quick visual survey of what most people where having, I went for a double cheeseburger and side of onion rings.




The double cheeseburger was the highest priced of the bunch (relatively speaking) at a whopping $3.05 but I have to say was also the best I've tried the trip -- the image of griddled onions above speaking for itself. The also maillard patties further infused with melty American cheese is really the key with these. Like the rest I've consumed, a couple pickle coins and a small squirt of mustard was all it took to elevate it to slider bargain-bliss status.

The onion rings ($3.25) were also terrific. Too bad a couple of the rings fell off as I was bringing my tray to seat (!) but for something pre-prepped for optimum fast food convenience was very fulfilling.




My meal at Hunter House really made my evening the final day at the city and it made me wanting to experience even more of the city's independent slider burger establishments which there are definitely no shortages of. The new Ann Arbor location of Hunter House should be operational as you read this. Looking forward in visiting them both in the hopefully not too far near future. :)

Hunter House Hamburgers, 35075 Woodward Ave, Birmingham, MI 48009

3 comments:

K and S said...

looks like great sliders! love these posts :)

caninecologne said...

Those are some serious onions on that slider!

Loved this series!!!! Makes me want to visit Detroit!

Dennis K. said...

Thanks Kat! Every one of the visits were a unique and fun experience. :)

Thanks CC! I can't wait to be back too. Detroit is full of great history everywhere and I had another great time there.