Saturday, August 2, 2014

I ♥ Detroit - Zingerman's Deli Revisit (Ann Arbor)

I've been to the city of Ann Arbor a few times and really love it there. It's one of those cool older towns that makes me want to listen to Simon & Garfunkle and get all melancholy for some reason, haha. Anyway, Zingerman's Deli brings back a particularly sentimental note as it was where I ate when I first visited 16 or so years ago during my more carefree cross-country road trip days with friends. These days my travels to the Detroit area would be work related, but I luckily had found some time the late evening when I had arrived.






Was nice to see that business was doing very well. Aside from the front facade, I almost didn't recognize the place with some of the expansion and remodeling.

So the extreme sucker of sentimentality that I am, I went ahead and ordered the exact same meal as my first. Their signature Reuben Sandwich and a side of Matzo Ball Soup. The Reuben comes in two sizes and shown is the small (which as you can see is still a very nice portion). With every sandwich you also have a choice of a "new" or "old" pickle. New would be a light, more cucumbery crispy pickle, while the old, your longer brined with lots of garlic and spice flavor. I went with the old.





A wonderful sandwich made with excellent bread (rye) where all the flavors of corned beef, sauerkraut, cheese and dressing are vibrant and fresh tasting. Together with the great pickle made an awesome first meal of the day (and glad I had passed up on all the fast food stalls during a flight transfer). The Matzo Ball Soup also didn't disappoint and totally lived up to my glossy expectations built up over the years by personal nostalgia. :)




Later to be on my way to a get-together with friends, I wanted to bring some wine and was lead by a great guy at Zingerman's to Everyday Wines in the Kerrytown Market building across the street. The lady at Everyday Wines was awesomely helpful and I picked up two great, very reasonably priced bottles. Yay.




I really hope that my next visit to Ann Arbor isn't going to be as far and few, and when I do you can count on me dropping in these places again.

Zingerman's Delicatessen, 422 Detroit St, Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Everyday Wines (in Kerrytown Market & Shops), 410 N 4th Ave, Ann Arbor, MI 48104

3 comments:

K and S said...

I've heard of Zingerman's but have never been, glad you got to reconnect :)

caninecologne said...

One of these days, we want to visit Detroit! Excellent looking sandwich!

Dennis K. said...

Thanks Kat! It was a nice evening. :)

Hi CC! I do love the city. Wish I could visit more often, especially that I have friends there.